Sometimes, as a result of sudden illness or injury, a person may lose the mental capacity to make decisions about their own welfare and their own estate. In such a circumstance in may be necessary to speak to deputyship solicitors who will help you to work out what needs to happen and how the person can be best looked after.

If a person is assessed as no longer having mental capacity, and power of attorney has not been granted, then a suitable person can apply to become a deputy in order to handle their estate and decisions about their personal welfare. Oratto member deputyship solicitors are highly experienced in this specialist area and they will be able to explain the details to you.

How do I apply to become a deputy?

You will need to apply to the Court of Protection. A decision will then be made if the person has lost mental capacity and if you are a suitable deputy.

You will only hold legal authority if there is a court order from the Court of Protection stating that this is the case. It will also lay out the specifications of your role.

An application to be a deputy is generally considered to be stronger if it is done through professional deputyship solicitors. Legal practitioners will be able to guide and advise you on the whole process to ensure your application is strong.

Our member solicitors understand how hard this process can be, but Oratto will be able to put you in touch with a local deputyship lawyer who can help you achieve the right outcome. 

Call us today or click through to the lawyer profiles on the right-hand-side of this page to find the legal professional you wish to make contact with.

Oratto member lawyers - helping to make the tough things in life a little easier