In order for UK based organisations to send workers from overseas who they wish to employ within the UK the company must apply for a Sponsorship licence and be registered with the UK Border Agency (UKBA) as a Licensed Sponsor.

There are certain conditions which must be satisfied for this to happen and an immigration and visa solicitor from Oratto will be able to explain the application process and requirements.

UK visa sponsor licences and Oratto

Oratto is based online as a simple method of connecting high end legal services practitioners with the clients who need them. An immigration and visa solicitor from Oratto will be able to assess the circumstances and eligibility of the business wishing to be a Sponsor and advise accordingly. Each of the lawyers listed on this page is an expert in UK immigration law.

Select any solicitor to connect with online, or you can send your details to Oratto and we will choose a solicitor for you, based upon your requirements.

Getting started

The UK tier system defines overseas as being a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

Eligibility for holding a Sponsorship licence is fairly broad. However, a licence will not be given if there are unspent criminal convictions relating to immigration offences or certain other crimes. There must also be appropriate systems in place for monitoring the sponsored employees as immigration control is a major responsibility for sponsors.

An applicant must be awarded a Certificate of Sponsorship before they are eligible to apply to enter, or remain in, the UK.

There are different types of Sponsorship licence, depending on the role which is being applied for.

Tier 2 Sponsorship licence

This is for skilled workers who are required either permanently or for long-term employment in the UK. This includes the following:

  • General roles
  • Intra-Company Transfers
  • Sportspeople
  • Ministers of Religion

Each has their own individual conditions attached.

Tier 5 Sponsorship licence

This Sponsorship licence is for skilled workers who are needed on a temporary basis. It includes:

  • Creative and Sporting roles
  • Religious Workers
  • Charity Workers
  • Those travelling under International Agreements
  • Those travelling under a Government Authorised Exchange

When a company applies for a licence specific personnel must be allocated for managing the Sponsorship process. These roles can be given to an individual or several people. The positions are:

  • Key contact
  • Authorising officer
  • Level 1 user (day to day management of the licence)

There are also specific reporting and record keeping duties which must be carried out. A copy must be kept of each applicant's immigration status documents or passport and their contact details.

Reports specifically pertaining to the migrant's attendance at their job and whether they are dismissed or resign for any reason must also be made.

The immigration and Sponsorship licence application can be a complex process and in order to secure a swift and positive outcome, taking early legal advice from an experienced immigration law solicitor is essential. Contact Oratto today to find out how your company can apply to become a UK Sponsor.