Maintaining a strong flow of business immigration into the UK is vital in securing a healthy economy. For those wishing to come and work in the UK, there are specific tier 1 business visas to apply for, depending upon your status. An immigration solicitor from the UK will be able to give you expert advice about which option is best for you.

Business immigration and Oratto

Oratto has a number of highly experienced, knowledgeable immigration solicitors, who can begin advising you immediately. Oratto is an online platform, designed to connect lawyers with those who require legal services. Specialist immigration solicitors from Oratto will discuss general applications with you before assessing your circumstances and intentions to see which business immigration visa it would be best for you to apply for.

Entrepreneur visa

This is a Tier 1 visa for high value migrants; applicable if you wish to run, or set up, a business in the UK. Immigration rules dictate that there are a number of eligibility criteria to fulfil for an entrepreneur visa:

  • You will need a minimum of £200,000 to start the business
  • You will need enough funds available to support yourself entirely before the business becomes profitable
  • You must have the necessary funds cleared before you need them
  • Your business can be of any type, but you must work full time in the UK
  • The operation of the business must create full time employment for at least two EEA nationals
  • You must take a share of business liabilities
  • You must have a viable business plan
  • You must have a controlling interest in the business
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements; either attaining a degree taught in English or score at least 6.5 in each of the four areas of the International English Language Testing System

Once an application is accepted, initially, a two year visa will be awarded. There is then a further three year extension available as long as the requisite investment has been made, the jobs have been created and the business is fully operational. Permanent residency (or Indefinite Leave to Remain) can be applied for after five years. If granted, partners and children can join the applicant and they are free to go to work and school. Your chosen lawyer will be able to go through the process with you and explain the requirements to qualify for business visas.

Tier 1 investor visa

Similar to the entrepreneur visa, Tier 1 applications can also be made for an investor visa. This is for those wishing to invest in business within the UK. The conditions for this type of visa include:

  • a minimum of £2,000,000 being available for investment
  • £750,000 of that sum must be invested in either private companies or unit trusts
  • Your only employment must be in the course of managing your investment
  • 50% of your time must be spent within the UK
  • The same English language requirements must be met as with the entrepreneur visa

If your application is successful, you will initially be given a three year visa. You can then apply for an extension of up to two years if various conditions are satisfied and this will usually be granted. Your Oratto member lawyer will be able to explain the conditions attached to a visa extension. After five years you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residency). If this is awarded, then partners and children will be able to join you and are free to engage with work and schools.

Contact Oratto today for clear, impartial advice on business immigration and visas.