When selling a property in Spain it is important to choose a specialist Spanish lawyer who is familiar with the local conveyancing system. The bilingual lawyers at Buckles Solicitors LLP can manage your sale of your property to ensure that your interests are protected and that you receive independent advice.
When selling a property in Spain both residents and non-residents are subject to Capital Gains Tax. From 1 January 2007 the law affecting non-resident property owners was amended to reduce the rate of Capital Gains Tax to 18% from the previous rate of 35%. Our lawyers will advise you about your tax liability and will ensure that it is correctly paid on your behalf in order to avoid any penalties.
Our lawyers provide the following services in the purchase transaction:
- Review the legal status of the property and ensure that all of the necessary documents are in order (Escritura Publica, IBI receipt, Catastral Certificate etc.) for the sale of a Spanish property
- Check your tax obligations when you put your property on the market in order to ensure that there are no surprises when you enter into negotiations to sell your property
- Draft the sale contract, negotiate with the buyer’s solicitor about any issues raised, supervise the eventual completion of the sale and complete the registration at the Land Registry
- Help you to obtain the relevant documentation needed upon completion. In particular:
- We can arrange for a Power of Attorney to be granted enabling another person to attend completion on your behalf if you are unable to attend in person
- We can arrange the application for the obligatory NIE number if you do not have one. This is an identification number which Spanish Law requires from any non-Spanish resident and importantly, it is a Notary requirement in order to be able to complete any sale
- We can provide you with marketing information and arrange a valuation of the property to be carried out if needed
- We can recommend a suitable sale agent
- If the purchase price is to be paid by instalments, we will be able to advise you on the most suitable method of doing this in your particular circumstances
We provide expert advice in all aspects of Spanish property law for individuals and property-owning companies. We provide bilingual assistance in relation to all aspects of buying, owning and selling a property in Spain, whether you are a non-Spanish speaking client, or more familiar with Spain, its language and legal system. We can also advise on Wills, succession matters and assist with Spanish litigation both in the UK and in Spain.
Buckles Solicitors provides a comprehensive range of legal solutions to businesses and individuals from offices in Peterborough and Stamford, in East Anglia. We pride ourselves on being straight-talkers, open and transparent, and we use plain language to talk to our clients, not legal jargon.
We offer the additional security of being regulated in the UK by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Meeting with us
We know how important it is for you to get the right advice at a time that is convenient for you. Whether you are located near to our offices or not, our lawyers can conduct confidential meetings with you from the comfort of your office or home through our online meeting software, GoToMeeting. This allows you to view documents on screen and interact with you as if you were in the same room.