Purchasing and renting out property is a common commercial investment. And whilst the rewards can be sizeable, there is also potential for problems. Landlord and tenant disputes can arise for a number of reasons and, where your property is concerned, seeking early legal advice is imperative.

Evicting a tenant with legal advice from Oratto member solicitors

Swift and straightforward access to legal services is a must if you need to take action against a tenant who will not leave your property. Oratto is an online method of connecting highly skilled, experienced solicitors for landlord and tenant disputes with those who need them.

You can send your details to us directly and we will use the Oratto Match function to identify the best lawyer for you. Alternatively, you can choose a solicitor from the list on this page to connect with or you can arrange to speak to a lawyer for free for thirty minutes. All the lawyers featured here are experts in landlord and tenant disputes.

Eviction procedure

One of the most commonly occurring issues in commercial property matters is eviction. Whether you have a portfolio of properties, or just one, evicting a tenant when needed is a serious step and must be carried out within the law. Commercial property lawyers from Oratto will be able to advise you specifically as there are several stages to the eviction process:

    • Initial issue of the seven day warning letter to vacate.
    • Issue of notice seeking possession. A section 21 notice gives possession of the property. No particular reason is required and it's usually straightforward. A section 8 notice is issued if the tenancy has been breached in some way. The two notices can be combined and a Money Judgment used to recover unpaid rent.
    • Possession order obtained through court proceedings. Possession hearings can only go ahead once an order has been granted from the court.
    • Enforcement, including action from a bailiff.

Contact Oratto today for advice on the best way to proceed with your landlord and tenant dispute when eviction of a tenant is required.