Jonathan is a senior solicitor with over 15 years’ experience advising institutional clients, multinational plcs, SMEs and high net worth individuals on a broad range of employment and commercial matters.
In advising clients Jonathan adopts a pragmatic approach informed by both legal expertise and commercial experience, to achieve clients’ aims quickly and efficiently.
His employment law work involves both contentious and non-contentious matters:
- Conducting employment tribunal litigation and disciplinary proceedings instituted by individual’s professional regulators;
- Advising on boardroom /shareholders disputes between employed owner managers;
- Negotiating and drafting Settlement Agreements on behalf of employees and employers;
- Advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions including shares sales, asset transfers, joint ventures, listings and private placings;
- Advising on the employment aspects of corporate restructurings (including redundancy programmes and outsourcing) and corporate insolvency, advising in respect of TUPE and TULR(C)A, assisting in planning and implementing collective consultation exercises;
- Advising on the employment related aspects of business start ups and team moves, including in respect of the enforceability of restrictive covenants;
- Advising individuals and corporate clients, from small enterprises to multinational plcs on day-to-day HR issues, from performance and disciplinary issues to discrimination and “family friendly legislation,” including where matters have a multijurisdictional element.
- Drafting and implementing employment contracts, including for directors of listed Plcs and owner managers with complex remuneration entitlements, including drafting deferred remuneration and bonus schemes incorporating equity entitlements;
- Drafting and implementing employee handbooks/policy documentation particularly to address the requirements of enterprises operating in specialist, highly regulated, industry sectors;
Jonathan’s commercial work varies widely, and matters he has worked on include:
- Advising upon commercial arrangements for the supply of personnel/services, with particular expertise in drafting master service agreements for ongoing service requirements, contracts for the supply of service/personnel for discrete projects (including management consultancy and product development projects) and all aspects of service supply arrangements with individuals’ personal service companies, including in respect of offshore based PSCs;
- Advising clients operating in the Recruitment Industry as service providers or clients, particularly with regard to the legislation effecting the supply and engagement of temporary workers;
- Assisting in the drafting and negotiation of private equity investment agreements/ shareholders agreements for both business owners and external investors.
- Advising on the Commercial Agents Regulations, to include advising on commercial agents entitlements to compensation on the termination.