Reports say that the rock star started dating his third wife, Orianne Cevey, again after moving to America to look after their children whilst she recovered from surgery on a slipped disc. 

Complications in Ms Cevey’s surgery left her partially paralysed, so looking after their children – Matthew, 14, and Nicholas, 11 – would have been a struggle without help from their father. 

Both the Daily Mail and the Express reported that the couple now hope to get married again.

Contrary to what many people may think, it is by no means unheard of for separated couples going through a divorce to reconcile either during the process or even once the divorce is complete. Some people worry that there is no going back after making the decision to initiate divorce, but it’s still possible for couples to rebuild their marriage even long after a divorce if they want to.

Phil Collins and Orianne Cevey did, in fact, complete the divorce process, which according to reports involved a £25 million financial settlement. 

It is also possible to rescind or ‘cancel’ divorce proceedings at any time before the decree absolute – the final decree of divorce - is pronounced. The exact process for cancelling a divorce depends upon which stage in the divorce process the proceedings have reached. It is only once the final decree is pronounced that the proceedings cannot be cancelled if there is a change of heart. 

If you want to rescind your divorce, I would advise you have the proceedings formally withdrawn or dismissed, rather than letting them lay dormant on the court file. This can usually be achieved with a straightforward ‘application by consent’.

Some people say they feel embarrassed about backtracking or changing their mind, or as though they have wasted the solicitor’s or court’s time, but this should never be a concern – for all the scary reputations about divorce lawyers, we actually love nothing better than a happy ending!


Contact Oratto on 0845 3883765 to speak with a family law adviser or use our contact form to arrange a call-back.


Click here to return to the main divorce and family law area.