A Supreme Court ruling allowed a former wife to make a claim for a share of the fortune amassed by her husband 30 years after they parted, as no binding consent order was made when they divorced.

Kathleen Wyatt was granted permission to lodge a belated claim against multi-millionaire Dale Vince, who made his fortune through a green energy company founded in the 1990s, which is said to be worth £57 million.

The couple met and married in 1981 and had a child in 1983, separating just one year later. The wife became a full time single parent with little income and had little contact with her ex-husband.

There is no time limit in the UK within which a spouse must seek an order for financial provision following a divorce, and in 2011 the wife put forward an application. This was dismissed by the Court of Appeal, and the application was taken to the Supreme Court to decide whether due consideration had been given to section 25 of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973.

Ms Wyatt was granted permission by the Supreme Court to make a claim, and in June 2016, Dale Vince was ordered to pay his ex-wife a lump sum of £300,000. In response to the verdict, Vince stated that he felt there should be a time limit on when claims can be made.

It was certainly unusual to hear of a claim being made after all this time, but without a consent order in place, the opportunity remains open.

More people are thinking about pre or post nuptial agreements following media coverage of high profile cases where these have been involved, such as German heiress Katrin Radmacher. They are certainly a sensible option for anyone getting married, but they are for use at the start of the relationship to set out what you wish to have happen if things go wrong. They are not legally binding in the UK but will be a persuasive factor if both parties received independent legal advice at the time.

What's involved here is the way in which a divorce is finalised. Once you've reached agreement, you can get the court to make it legally binding by applying for what is known as a consent order, and that's what was missing in Wyatt and Vince's case. 

A consent order confirms what has been agreed and can include details on how assets will be divided, including cash, property, pension funds and other investments, and can also include arrangements for maintenance payments, including child maintenance. Both parties have to agree and sign the draft consent order and a judge will consider the terms to see if they appear fair and reasonable, and if so will approve the agreement to make it legally binding.

Going through the process of obtaining a consent order should mean that both parties come out with a fair settlement and there will be no surprises some years down the line.


Contact Oratto on 0845 3883765 to speak with a family law adviser or use our contact form to arrange a call-back.


Click here to return to the main divorce and family law area.